Company museum documents brick history

Jungk brickworks was founded in 1862 and developed by a five generations to a major brickworks in Europe. Having stepped down from management of the company, senior director Ernst K. Jungk has gathered together historical documents, machines and other artefacts dating from the years 1862 to 1976, to present them in a small museum. This museum in Wöllstein was recently inaugurated during a visit by the surviving graduates of the final year 1959 at the state engineering college for ceramics in Landshut, Bavaria.

The museum comprises an analogue room and a technical room in which an impressive wall drawing of JUWÖ’s own annular kiln, built in 1879, can be seen in a scale of 1:1. This type of kiln was invented in 1859 by Friedrich Hoffmann and revolutionized the clay brick industry. In the exhibition rooms, the sustainability of clay brick production is documented over five generations, based on the four natural elements of earth, water, air and fire.

 

Historical exhibits from 1862 to 1976

One special exhibit is the fire brigade hose from the year 1886, with which Wöllstein’s fire brigade used to go into action, after it had been established in 1862 with the support of brickworks founder Philipp Jungk. “The sweat of this committed firefighter can certainly still be found clinging to the handles of this hose,” observed his descendant Ernst K. Jungk with a wink.

Before the visit to the museum, Stefan Jungk, the managing partner at JUWÖ Poroton as well as honorary president of the Federal Association of the German Brick and Tile Industry, informed the guests about current challenges for his industry. He explained how the political goal of minimizing CO2 emissions and achieving CO2 neutrality by 2045 was supported by the Association with scientific research projects. In addition, the Association was trying to inform policymakers about the sustainability of bricks. During their visit, the brick engineers, who completed their studies 62 years ago, signalled how happy they were that they no longer had to tackle these challenges.

The museum is open for groups of visitors. Visits can be arranged with Ernst K. Jungk by telephone, who will then personally guide visitors through the museum. Telephone: +49 (0) 6703 910 110

x

Related articles:

Issue 2013-11

Issue 2019-5

Brickworks North America Corporation acquires Sioux City Brick

Brickworks North America Corporation (Brickworks N.A.), the parent company of Glen-Gery Corporation, has acquired Sioux City Brick, an Iowa-based brick manufacturer. Sioux City Brick will become a...

more
Issue 2013-09

Issue 2013-12

Flintsbach Clay Brick and Lime Museum

At the heart of Flintsbach Clay Brick and Lime ­Museum ?is the kiln dating from the year 1883 in which lime and bricks were fired up until 1968. On the open air grounds of the ensemble of buildings,...

more
Issue 2012-11

Juwö celebrates 150th founding anniversary with guests and employees

Along with more than 300 guests, including state and municipal politicians and business partners, the entire Juwö workforce plus past employees celebrated the 150th founding anniversary of the...

more