Ott Deisendorf brick factory turns 80

On October 11, the Ott Deisendorf brickworks in Überlingen-Deisendorf celebrated their 80th founding anniversary with customers, employees, the Ott family and guests of honour the likes of Martin Roth, managing director of Bundesverband der Deutschen Ziegelindustrie e.V. (Germany’s national association of the brick and tile industry), and Christoph Keller of the QC organization Güte-schutz Ziegel Süd e.V.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Kai Rudhof, the company’s new manager as of January 1, 2014, and Assistant Manager Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Tristan Klein were pleased to be able to welcome some 200 guests to the event. In addition to a pair of technical reports presented by Martin Roth and Kai Rudhof, the participants enjoyed this opportunity to learn “all about” brickmaking in the course of a plant tour. Then, the subsequent culinary get-together served as a good platform for exchanging views on the company’s long history leading all the way up to today’s modern clay unit production facility.

History

1934: Leo Ott buys the brick factory in Überlingen-Deisendorf

1935: Leo Ott II succeeds his father and invests in a pan mill, a vacuum extruder, lifting stillage and a cutter

After World War II, a steam engine is installed and the ring kiln converted to a zig-zag kiln

1965: the tunnel kiln that is still in operation today is commissioned and production focussed on backing bricks

1986: Leo Ott, the eldest son of Leo Ott II, joins the managerial team

1993: the brothers Leo and Karl-Heinz Ott assume joint management of the factory following the death of Leo Ott II

The patented Deisendorfer Klimatherm [λ = 0.08 W/(mK)] marks a high point of permanent investment and research activities

1 January 2014: Leo Ott hands over the reins to his successor, Dipl.-Ing (FH) Kai Rudhof

Related articles:

Issue 2019-5 Strategic partnership

Hörl & Hartmann acquires half interest in Ziegelwerk Ott

Effective July 1, Hörl & Hartmann Ziegeltechnik GmbH & Co. KG has acquired a total 50% share of Ziegelwerk Ott brickworks in Deisendorf. The holding owners, Dipl.-Ing. Tristan Klein and Dipl.-Ing....

more
Issue 2010-10

Brickmaking History/Brickmaking Museums

Taking place from July 4 through 6 in Prignitz Museum, the attractive venue neighbouring Havelberg Cathedral, this year’s international “Brickmaking History/Brickmaking Museums” conference and its...

more
Issue 2010-04

“Brickmaking History/Brickmaking Museums” from the 5th to 6th June in Havelberg

The Federal German Association of the Brick and Tile Industry Regd is holding the 17th International Conference “Brickmaking History/Brickmaking Museums” from the 5th to 6th June in Havelberg.

more
Issue 2012-05

Issue 2013-05